As much as we love a home cooked meal, what we all love more is a no stress, no mess meal which looks like we toiled the whole day but took very little of our time.
This recipe is just that ..it goes hand in glove on a movie night or a game night. During grilling season, a few minutes of mixing the marinade in the morning gives you a full meal on a stick by lunch or dinner time. If you don’t feel like firing up the barbecue, this recipe is for you …switch on the oven, this takes all of 20 minutes in the oven.
I personally love this marinade for giving succulence to the meat. Combining yoghurt, oil and lime juice gives moisture and tenderises the meat. Finger licking good.😋
Greek Yoghurt – 1 cup
A squeeze of lime if the yoghurt isn’t sour
Grated fresh ginger – 1 tbsp
Flavourless oil – 1 tbsp
Minced garlic – 1 tbsp
Salt – 2 tsps
Ground cumin – 1 1/2 tsp
Ground turmeric – 1 tsp
Cayenne pepper – 1/2 tsp
500g boneless chicken breast cubed
3 small bell pepper (red/green/yellow)
1 small red onion cut into wedges
Skewers – 12
1. To make the marinade, blend all the marinade ingredients and process until smooth.
2. Cut chicken breasts uniformly into roughly 1 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Place chicken in a large resealable bag and pour in marinade. Press Air out of the bag and seal tightly. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 200 C
5. Remove chicken from the bag and discard the marinade. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers, alternating between chicken, bell pepper and onion.
6. Place the threaded skewers horizontally over a deep pan with water filled quarter way (the chicken shouldn’t touch the water ) . Bake for 20 mins until caramelised and golden. Alternatively heat a griddle pan and grill the threaded skewers over direct medium heat, until chicken is cooked through 8 to 10 minutes, turning once .
Serve hot with a yoghurt dip or a green chutney.
Add a pinch of love ❤️ :
Add 2 tsps of tandoori masala to make it even more authentic. Thread cherry tomatoes alternatively on the skewers.
As always, if you are using wooden skewers don’t forget to soak it in water for couple of hours, so the skewers don’t get burnt while cooking. Baste with oil after threading the skewers. Serve with green chutney. Sprinkle a pinch of “chat masala” before serving. ( Recipe of green chutney is there with the potato and cilantro patties recipe ) Vegetarians can substitute chicken with paneer ( cottage cheese ).